First page Back Continue Last page Summary Graphic
Second -The Motif vs. Open Look War
Motif supported by the bulk of the industry
- But based on 2nd system syndrome toolkit intrinsics
- From DECwindows, with HP toolkit leavening, through X Consortium, to X.org - Can we say "big, bloated and slow", and no architectural consistency?
Sun first tried proprietary route with Open Look
- Derived from SunView, not very well suited to X's designed
- When that failed, Sun went open source with OL
Split developer community, and worst of all, you could not count on either toolkit being available!
- Predictable results: most applications based on ugly Athena Widgets