First page Back Continue Last page Summary Graphic
Foundation of the X Consortium
Problem: how to continue to develop/enhance X?
Solution: X Consortium, but.... Resulted in X's downfall!
- The gifts bore strings, in effort to attract membership
- Financial and more subtle: topical
- Made some people "more equal" than others: Who votes, and why?
- Disenfranchised "outsiders"
- Put key topics off limits to the X Consortium staff
- e.g. Toolkits, Desktop environments, 3D
Development style problems
- Reviews and input somewhat limited to members
- Infrequent releases, implementations limited to members until "released"
- Ideas from outside consortium less welcome